Thinking of Getting a Keratin Hair Treatment?

You’ve heard all about these Keratin Treatments and seriously want one. Ok, maybe you’re not 100% sure what it is, but it’s getting so much buzz, you think you should want one too! You’re never one to be left out, but hmmm… what is it? How does it work? What will happen when I go to my salon and sit in the chair? We get asked about Keratin Hair Treatments all the time, and there seem to be plenty of treatments to choose from, so do your homework carefully if you are thinking of keratin treatment like this for your hair.

As firm believers in helping you do your hair homework before undergoing any process that will change your hair dramatically, we surfed around and found this video so you can see what really happens. We are very wary of any chemical treatment that has a potential to be damaging to your delicate strands. Most Brazilian treatments (BKT) contain as much as 2% formaldehyde. Yes formaldehyde, and many treatments can contain higher percentages than that. Now there are many Keratin Treatments that are Formaldehyde Free.   Check out the Coppola Keratin Complex Smoothing Treatment as an excellent alternative to the BKT.  To help protect your hair against any dryness during the treatment our friendly hairstylist, Dave, gave us a great tip! About 1 week before your keratin treatment use the Maijan Pure Organic Argan Oil infused with Grapeseed Oil as a deep oil treatment. This will help reduce breakage and keep your hair shiny and silky!

For more info, read our article Brazilian Keratin Treatment 411.

Bonus points: It looks like this video features the Babyliss Nano Titanium Flat Iron. This iron is also featured on our list of Best Flat Irons of 2010, kudos Babyliss – we know this iron works well without a harsh chemical treatment.   Check out our picks for the best flat irons to use when doing and maintaining your keratin treatment.

Your hair homework starts now with Nina’s Goleshlee Cocochoco Keratin Hair Treatment Class, just click below.

For more info, check out this article: Brazilian Keratin Treatment FAQ’s.

295 comments for “Thinking of Getting a Keratin Hair Treatment?

1. Kathy
    July 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Wow, I’m amazed at all the misinformation out there. I have had the Brazilian Blowout done four times, and it makes my normally frizzy, thick, coarse, bushy hair soft and manageable. Here’s what you need to know: Definitely wait at least 48 hours, and preferably 72 hours before washing. Use only sulfate free and sodium free shampoos. If you work out a lot (I’m a long distance runner) the treatment will not last as long because your sweat contains salt (sodium) and that strips the keratin out. I have it done every 3 and 1/2 months. And most importantly, go to a stylist that has lots of experience doing this, and has been trained properly! The guy who does mine has been doing them for several years and has never had a client lose hair or have any negative reaction. He started off doing the Coppola treatment but switched to the Brazilian Blowout and likes it better. I have very curly hair and it still has a lot of curl, but the frizz is gone, along with some of the volume, which in my case is a good thing! I live in S. Florida and the humidity made my hair bushy and frizzy, but no more! I love this product!

2. Heather
    July 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm

OMG, had a keratin treatment done last night…I have beautiful (color treated) platinum blond hair that graduates down to almost black at the bottom…Blows out great, but naturally frizzy curly so Keratin was very appealing to me. Noticed this morning that my white blonde hair is now yellow…Any advice would be helpful because I am freaking out. I am considering washing my hair now which Im not sure if that would help anyways & would mean I completely wasted my money…Im thinking about on day 3 using the purple shampoo & conditioner (I couldn’t care less if it has sodium whatever in it) hoping that will pull out some of the yellow tinge… I wish I would have known this is not for blondes, but since its done I would appreciate any advise.

3. K.A.
    August 7, 2011 at 11:18 am

BUYERS BEWARE!!! I, too, am experiencing extensive hair loss after having received the Brazilian Blowout a month and a half ago. The worst is while washing my hair with the expensive, recommended Keratin shampoo and conditioner. The drain is FILLED with my hair and while blow drying my hair, more comes out. Throughout the day I have hair falling out which comes out in my hand. As much as I love the smoothness and straightness provided by the treatment, I’ve lost a very noticeable, significant amount of hair and just hope that it will grow back over time. My days of straight, smooth hair will just have to be over if I want to maintain ANY hair on my head at all.

4. Mehreen
    August 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I’ve already permanently straightened(rebonded) my hair 3 times. & i have been happy with the results. The only problem i’ve faced is split ends. But with regular conditioning, its fine.

However, now the regrowth of hair is slightly wavy..& this time i dnt want to permanently straighten it ..i want to try out sth different. Which one should i go for? Brazilian blowout, keratin or plain relaxing?

P.S i need to treat only the part of my hair near my crown. I have waist length hair.

5. Rachel
    August 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I am African-American with 4a-4c type hair I believe, well basically my hair has small tight curls. I have relaxed hair and less than an inch of natural new growth. I want to discontinue using a relaxer or perm altogether and grow my hair out naturally. However, I do not want to do the big chop. I don’t want to cut off The relaxed ends until my hair grows at to the height it is now which is below shoulders. I’m am highly interested in a keratin treatment that is Hyde- family free that will help both hair textures to coexist and grow out heathy. Please offer me your best suggestions as far as treatments, aftercare, etc. Let me know what you think would be the best thing for me I would prefer asking you all or an expert on this blog versus another stylist. Please offer your thoughts.
    Oh and just so that I come across clear, I would like to grow my hair out naturally and little by little cut the relax ends off. I know you’re probably saying in your head that the keratin treatment is a contradiction to growing my hair out naturally because it not completely natural but I understand that the treatment is not permanent compared to a relaxer, perm, texturizer or Japanese straightener. Am I wrong? I figure if I use the treatment (well one you recommend) to straighten or loosen natural curls I can reduce breakage or stop damage completely as my hair grows out because like I said in my first post I understand that I would have two different textures in my hair but I would like to find a solution that would help them to coexist so I can reduce damage and or breakage to my hair and so I would not have to do the big chop but rather i could cut the hair gradually as it grows little by little. I’m hoping that with this method I’d have a full natural head of shoulder length hair in about 3 years or so. Hopefully this 2nd post helps you to understand what I am looking for rather than confuse you. Thank you so much!!!

6. IsleofSpice
    September 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Rachel,
    I’m African-American w/very THICK hair (almost Dominican type thick) & I did my 1st treatment about 3 wks ago. LOVE IT & have NO regrets!! I had less than 1″ of relaxer left in my hair but have been growing it out for approx 2 yrs now. I had no adverse reactions to having the relaxer & this together. They say that AA’s can have both together but to not do on the same day (give it at least 2 wks apart) I used the Keratin Tropic by Lasio; No issues whatsoever. I am in MN now for school where the summers are hot & humid. I work our 3x/wk also (if you sweat it will breakdown the straightness) but your hair is still manageable. I will see how it holds up in the winter months when the air is dry.
    Hope this helps other African-American ladies or just ladies with ubber thick hair in general. I don’t know where this has been all of my life! Good bye to my weaves & relaxers..hello Keratin.

7. IsleofSpice
    September 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Me again….

I am getting my hair streaked this weekend & as I stated above I have the Keratin Tropix form-free (or as close to form free as it can get) in my hair now.
    Is there any specific type of color product that I should be using? My natural hair color’s a dark brown & I’ve never had color before but do want a change. I am curious if there is a certain brand to use, stay away from, etc.

Anyone know how this will impact my hair? Presently, I get it deep conditioned every time I wash it which is about every 10 days as well as use Morrocan hair oil on an as needed basis.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

8. sweet27
    September 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm

keratin is amazing, it did well to my hair and planning to continue using it .. i did ketrating in a beauty salon before and decided to try it at home after that since i’m fimiliar with the process but unfortunately i forgot to wear gloves while applying and now my hands skin gets really freaky when i wash’em with water..the minute i put my hands under water they wrinkle like hell.. plz help me i can’t stand this situetion anymore?? will that last forever it’s been 3 days now :(

• alyson
      September 8, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Try washing your hands with olive oil and/or dish soap. Both will help to break down whatever is reacting with your skin. If the problem persists might want to have a doctor look at it.

9. Priya
    September 8, 2011 at 12:29 am

Hi, so i got the keratin treatment done and tonight i accidentally used a dime sized amount of redken shampoo, which happens to have sulfate in it. will this skew with the treatment? I would really appreciate some input.

10. Jenn
    September 10, 2011 at 12:34 am

I’ve been spending hours over the last few weeks trying to figure out A) which keratin treatment is the best and B) what the likelihood of hairloss is. No matter how much I read up on it, I just can’t seem to find a straight forward answer anywhere.

Does anyone know what the stats are on hairloss? What % of people experience it, and what factors contribute to this? I initially had read that this treatment should improve the health of your hair, but there’s obviously a harshness to it if so many people are losing significant amounts of hair due to breakage, and also if it dries out your hair. This seems very counter-intuitive to a process that is supposed to help your hair.

I have heard bits and pieces, and probably largely guesses and opinions that the hairloss experience could be one of many things such as overprocessed hair, fine hair, bleach blonde hair, cheap products, inexperienced stylists….. does anyone know if all or any of these things are actually factors for hairloss?

I have long, fine, otherwise healthy hair, which does break easily. It can’t tolerate chemical straighteners or bleach. It will basically turn to straw, and I will have breakage-nothing like what people are reporting here.

I’m not sure if this means the Keratin treatment will not be good for me, or if it does actually make your hair stronger and healthier and it with help reduce the breakage I naturally have.

Has anyone been able to figure this out?

11. Linda
    September 10, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I have had several of the Coppola Keratin treatments. I have silver to white hair. I did leave the salon with a slight yellow tinge to my hair. It came out after a couple washings. We lowered the flat iron temp a bit and that helped.

Unless I can find absolute data that the CK treatments have high levels of formaldehyde – I will continue having the treatment. I have hair with a lot of attitude…doesn’t matter the style or cut. This treatment was THE answer for me.

12. Claire
    September 10, 2011 at 9:21 pm

You need to get the brazilian blowout zero I had it @ Marc Azzi hair
    the service is amazing, and best of all guaranteed.

there are so many treatments on the market now, i was so confused, tried 3 different brands till i found the right one…and best of it worked.

13. Claire
    September 10, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Edit- best of all, it worked.

14. Cathy
    September 16, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I got my second Coppola Keratin treatment last evening.
    My first was in May, and I loved it. It lasted nearly four months, as I was told it would, but I knew it was time for another treatment as I was spending more time using a flat iron, and my hair was getting a bit frizzier. I spent four hours at the salon (I wasn’t the only client the stylist was working on, so I would wait under the dryer and while he was busy). He does a great job; painstakingly going over my hair forever with a flat iron. It’s like glass and so smooth. Of course I feel like I have greasy helmet head now, and can’t wash for two more days, ugh…but it’s worth it when my hair is so much easier to manage, smooth and frizz-free, and I only have to spend 3-5 minutes flat ironing it. Love this treatment – it’s a splurge, but I’m worth it! :)

15. Hank
    October 3, 2011 at 10:47 pm

As a hairdressing professional I can say that the Coppola Treatment does have aldehyde in it. Which when the flat iron heats the product to steam turns into formaldehyde gas. When ever you go to get these treatments please go to a certified professional and ask to see the ingredients list you would be surprised.

16. Linda Rose
    October 28, 2011 at 12:41 pm

In response to mail from Shirin. Yeas, there is a salon in Dubai that does the treatment. Its at The Jumeira Beach Hotel Salon. Don’t know what they usually charge but, while there on the 23rd of September 2011, i enquired about the treatment and they quoted me 3,000 Dirhams for the complete treatment.

17. Linda Rose
    October 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Can anyone tell me. What is the best treatment for my hair!
    I am 58 and have highlighted hair, purely to disquise the Gray. I was thinkin of gettin the Keratinn treatment to help the breaking i am getting and also to help calm the frizzy underneath bits that go a bit crazy when i am warm!! Reading the comments, I don’t think I have found the answer in Keratin as I have abstained from using the Irons for some 9 months now cos, my hairdresser feels the straightening is aiding the breaking. I have a treatment once a week when they wash my hair and do not wash it inbetween so, tis not getting over heated with drying process???

Cheers
    Lindie

18. jocelyn
    November 7, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I will be doing the kerastraight (formaldehyde free) treatment. Is it safe to highlight at the same time ?

• alyson
      November 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm

ANY time you’re doing multiple processes, you should always consult with a professional. I don’t recommend it personally, as highlighting uses bleach, and bleach weakens your hair significantly.

19. debbie
    December 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I have curly hair that will frizz. I am wondering if i have the keritin treatment will i still have the curls without the frizz or will it be straight. I would like the treatment to calm the frizz but not the curls. I want the choice of wearing it either blown out or curly. Any feedback?

20. Harlo
    December 7, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Hi all,

I haven’t had a keratin treatment yet because I love my big bouncey curls. My hair is long, thick and I colour it.
    I’d just like to treat the top half to eliminate the frizzies.
    Wondering will this treatment …..

1. Change my colour? Medium to light brown with caramel, honey highlights.

2. If instead of using a flat iron, I use a curling iron to “seal” in the treatment?
    It could be a way for us lovers of curls to get this treatment ;)

Cheers Harlo