1. Start clean. Always begin with freshly washed hair. This is especially important if you want your sleek/smooth blow-out to last for several days. Start with the right shampoo and conditioner. Aveda Smooth Infusion Shampoo and Conditioner cleanses and conditions to create a perfect foundation for smooth sleek hairstyles.
2. Protect hair from heat. Always blot wet hair with a towel to remove excess moisture. Don’t rub! It creates frizz. Spray Brilliant Damage Control on damp hair to detangle, reduce breakage and protect from thermal damage.
3. Apply before you dry. Always use a styling product before blow-drying your hair. Apply small amount of Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother evenly from roots to ends to protect from heat styling and defend against humidity for up to 12 hours.
4. Quick dry. To shorten the time it takes to dry your hair, �rough-dry� it using only your hands. Use this technique until hair is about 80% dry.
5. Divide and conquer. Use clips to section hair off into small, manageable sections. Each section of hair should be no larger than the width of the brush you are using. By blow-drying hair section-by-section you ensure a nice, smooth and consistent blow-dry.
6. Give frizz the brush-off. Using an Aveda Wooden Styling Brush and a blow-dryer with a nozzle attachment on high-heat, direct the nozzle downward starting at the top of the section all the way to the ends. This helps smooth the cuticle down, while eliminating frizz. Continue this technique section by section.
7. Cool it. When hair is 100% dry, use cool air to set. This closes the hair’s cuticle and ensures your smooth blow-dry will last longer.
8. Finish what you start. Always apply a finishing product on hair before flat ironing for added slip, shine and heat protection. Run small amount of Light Elements Smoothing Fluid through hair and follow section by section with flat-iron heat.
9. Keep it dry. If you want to finish your hair with hair spray, make sure you use a very dry spray so that the hair does not get wet and revert to unwanted curl/wave. Aveda’s Air Control Hair Spray features a water-free formula that sprays on dry, provides light/flexible hold and helps protect hair from humidity.
10. Sleep on it. In order to help extend the life of your blow dry, it helps to sleep on a silk pillow case or wrap your hair in a silk scarf before bed. This keeps the hair from rubbing up on the pillowcase and causing frizz. For thick/coarse hair, apply Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother before bed. This helps maximize smoothness and helps prevent excess volume in the morning.